Kali Linux 2.0 (Codename ‘Kali Sana’), an open-source penetration testing platform brings hundreds of Penetration Testing, Forensics, Hacking and Reverse Engineering tools together into a Debian-based Linux distribution.
Kali Linux 2.0 offers a redesigned user interface for streamlined work experience, along with a new multi-level menus and tool categories options.
Kali Linux 2.0 is now a rolling distribution, means users will receive tools and core system updates frequently.
Kali Linux 2.0 Features:
- Runs on Linux kernel 4.0,
- use full Gnome 3 Desktop instead of gnome-fallback,
- improved hardware and wireless driver coverage,
- support for a variety of Desktop Environments,
- updated desktop environment and tools,
- Featuring new cutting-edge wireless penetration tools,
- Kali Linux now added desktop notifications, so that you do not miss anything,
- Support Ruby 2.0, which will make Metasploit will load much faster,
- Kali 2.0 added inbuilt screencasting tool so that you can record desktop.
Sadly, Kali team has removed the Metasploit Community and Pro packages. Instead, now just offers open-source Metasploit-framework package pre-installed.
Upgrade to Kali 2.0
Kali Linux users can upgrade their Kali 1.x to Kali 2.0 without reinstalling whole operating system from scratch. To do this, you will need to edit your source.list entries, and run a dist-upgrade as shown below.
cat << EOF > /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib
deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ sana/updates main contrib non-free
apt-get dist-upgrade # get a coffee, or 10.
Download Kali 2.0 Penetration Testing Platform
Kali Linux 2.0 is available to download in following flavors...
- Kali Linux 64 bit
- Kali Linux 32 bit
- Kali Linux VMWare or VirtualBox images
- Kali 2.0 for ARM architecture
…from the official website. You can download it either from direct download link or using Torrents.